Transfer Your Skills
Everett Transit is looking for more amazing Operators, and your skills are transferable!
If you don't have Commercial Driver License (CDL), that's okay! Being an effective Transit Operator and City of Everett employee requires more than just driving. Every day our Fixed Route and Paratransit Operators provide essential trip planning and wayfinding information to our customers, along with local and regional tourism knowledge, a warm smile, and of course a safe vehicle to travel in. No matter what Operator position you are interested in, we invite you to transfer your skills and help build a better Everett.
Why Everett Transit?
Everett Transit is a division of the City of Everett, and offers service within Everett's city limits. At Everett Transit, you'll find a welcoming and close-knit atmosphere while enjoying a comfortable work life balance. Additionally, Everett Transit Operators receive:
- Excellent pay with multiple step increases
- Fixed Route Training Pay: $23.81
- Fixed Route Operator: $27.66 - $35.37
- Paratransit Training Pay: $19.38
- Paratransit Operator: $21.51 - $31.59
- Longevity pay, up to $1.09 per hour additional
- Exceptional health and wellness benefits
- Job security
- Retirement pension through PERS (Public Employees Retirement System)
- Close-knit work atmosphere
- Opportunity to be a part of a cutting edge, region leading transit organization
- To be a part of a dynamic city that is home to:
- Major employers
- Sporting and entertainment venues
- Exceptional healthcare
- Growing higher education opportunities
- Extraordinary quality of life with rapidly developing riverfront and waterfront communities
Everett Transit and the City of Everett do not require a COVID-19 vaccine for employment.
What does a typical work day look like?
In the transit world, every day brings something different. There are new faces and new destinations always popping up throughout the city. A Fixed Route or Paratransit Operator's day generally includes:
- Operating a passenger bus over an assigned route on a designated schedule, known as Fixed Route
- Operating a passenger bus or van to provide door to door service for ADA and senior customers, known as Paratransit
- Picking up and dropping off passengers at designated stops or planned locations
- Fare collection: digital fare payment via ORCA card, and exact cash fare payment
- Provide general transit information:
- Offer information concerning routes
- Transit times and transfer points
- Assist customers with boarding and exiting vehicle as necessary
- Care for and turn in lost articles
- Complete accident and other reports as necessary
What is required to become a Everett Transit Operator?
Applicants must be insurable under the City's special policy regarding this position (i.e., must be twenty-one (21) years of age on or before the filing date closes and have an excellent driving record) and posses a valid Washington State Driver License.
Additional Certifications & Screening
- Washington State Commercial Driver License (CDL) to be obtained within the thirty (30) day training period
- and / or CDL Class B permit: passenger endorsement, air brake restriction removed
- Everett Transit provides CDL training!
- A CDL is not required to operate Paratransit vehicles
- Background screening
- Medical examination
- Drug test
- Pre-hire submission of driving/accident record check (DOL Driver Abstract)
- Applicants must be able to pass a practical exam of the physical ability to required duties
- The position of Transit Operator is subject to the City of Everett's random Drug and Alcohol Policy per Federal Department of Transportation regulations
How do I apply to become an Everett Transit Operator?
We are ecstatic that you have decided to transfer your skills and become a Everett Transit Operator, the first step in your journey begins with applying. As a division of the City of Everett all applicants must apply through the City of Everett employment opportunities webpage linked below.
If there are no current openings with Everett Transit but you'd like to be immediately updated as opportunities become available, we encourage you to click the link below to complete the "Job Interest Card" form.