Regional Reduced Fare Permit


The Regional Reduced Fare Permit (RRFP) allows disabled persons and senior citizens age 65 and older to ride for a reduced fare on various public transit systems throughout the Puget Sound region. There is more information in the RRFP brochure, including eligibility, how it works and which agencies participate.

To Obtain a Permit

Print and Review the RRFP application. You can also request an application by calling 425-257-7777 or by visiting Everett Transit's Customer Service Center. The entrance is located on the southeast side of Everett Station facing the bus bays. Your first RRFP card is issued for free, replacement cards are $3.  

It is advised that Seniors and medicare users obtain a RRFP, as it offers many benefits, but it is not required. Customers will need to show ID for verification of age 65 and older, or their medicare card.

  1. RRFP Application Information
  2. Medical Eligibility Criteria

What is it? 

The Regional Reduced Fare Permit simplifies travel for senior and disabled riders of public transportation around Puget Sound. The following public transportation systems in the Puget Sound region recognize this identification card: 
• Clallam Transit • Community Transit • Everett Transit • Intercity Transit • Jefferson Transit • King County Metro Transit • King County Water Taxi • Kitsap Transit • Mason Transit • Pierce County Ferries • Pierce Transit • Skagit Transit • Sound Transit • Washington State Ferries • Whatcom Transportation Authority 

With the Regional Reduced Fare Permit, eligible persons do not need to carry more than one permit to receive the reduced-fare benefits of multiple systems within the region. 

Who is eligible? 

Any person who presents proof of one or more of the following conditions can obtain a Regional Reduced Fare Permit (the agencies reserve the right to contact your Health Care Provider for verification). 

Permanent Permit: 

1. Is at least 65 years of age. 

2. Is currently certified by the Veterans Health Administration at a 40% or greater disability level.

Temporary Permit: 

1. Is now eligible for Social Security Disability Benefits or now receives Supplemental Security Income Benefits because of disability.

 2. Has a valid Medicare card issued by the Social Security Administration. 

3. Has a valid ADA Paratransit card from outside the region. 

4. Is currently participating in a vocational career program with the Washington State Individual Educational Program (IEP). 

5. Has a Washington Department of Licensing issued disabled parking identification in conjunction with a government issued photo identification.

Permanent or Temporary Permit (case-by-case): 

1. Has a valid Regional ADA Paratransit card. 

2. Has obvious physical impairments meeting one or more of the medical criteria listed to the right. 

3. Is certified by a Washington state-licensed Physician (M.D.), Psychiatrist, Psychologist (Ph.D.), Physician’s Assistant (P.A.), Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (A.R.N.P.), Audiologist certified by the American Speech–Language–Hearing Association, or Osteopathic Physician (D.O.) as meeting one or more of the medical criteria listed to the right. 

Where is it issued? 

Any eligible person may apply for a Regional Reduced Fare Permit at the customer service offices of any of the participating transit agencies. King County Ferry District, Pierce County Ferries, Sound Transit and Washington State Ferries do not issue the permits but will honor those issued by any of the other systems. 

How long is it valid?

Permits issued to persons 65 or older and to persons permanently disabled will be valid indefinitely. No renewal is necessary. Persons with disabilities that will last up to five years may receive temporary permits. If documentation does not include an expiration date, the RRFP will be valid for three years. These permits, which carry an expiration date, may be renewed only if the disability continues beyond that date. Persons certified by approved health care providers as permanently disabled may receive permanent permits. Participating agencies retain the right to ask for certification upon loss of a permit or at any other time. 

What does it cost? 

There is no fee to obtain a new permit. Replacement permits may be obtained from the issuing agency for $3.00. How does it work? The permit is an identification card used as proof of eligibility to pay a reduced fare. The permit has no cash value. If using ORCA, standard ORCA transfer rules apply. The permit holder must pay the amount of the reduced fare on each system used, and use of the permit is subject to any time restrictions in effect by each system.